We Christians resist self-examination. We are proud individualists who are typically satisfied if we’re doing as well as most at meeting our local church expectations, and especially so if we’re doing better than some. And even more so if we can hide our vices while those of others are more obvious.
But Paul writes, “We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they show their ignorance.”* – Not flattering!
Here is Part 2 of the June 17, 2017, self-examination quiz to our SS class. How would you and your class respond if you made God’s Word and Jesus’ expectations the standard? See it all, with scripture links at:
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
As I know my own heart and the culture of xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx Church, my sense is that:
- I/we know the wonder of entering God’s holy presence as described in Heb. 10:19-23. We know the voice of our Shepherd, Jesus, as He spoke of in John 10:14-16. We listen for it and hear it regularly in life. We are “on the alert” as Jesus instructed us in Mt. 24:42, and are actively preparing for His coming as in Mt. 24-25.
- The mindset of the saints of Heb. 11:13-16 describes me and others of our church. We are willing to follow God as Abraham did. (Heb. 11:8-10) We actively consider Jesus’ words in Luke 9:23-26 in decision making in life and when we face relational and other challenges. We know that various trials are a necessary part of proving our faith (I Peter 1:6-9), so we respond to them in the spirit of James 1:2-4.
- The Gal. 5:22-24 Fruit of the Spirit describes me and most people in our church, and so do the Beatitudes of Mt. 5:3-11. Because I/we practice the principle of Phil. 4:4-7 we are known in our community as those who have God’s peace in life. The “stimulating one another to love and good deeds” of Heb. 10:24 is actively practiced here. The unsaved in our community know that we are Jesus’ disciples because of the way that we love each other. (John 13:34-35)
– – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Part 3 and conclusion tomorrow, probably. *2 Corinthians 10:12 (bsb)
Kidron, Ohio USA
June 8, 2022
CLICK HERE for a printable pdf of this Part 2. PLEASE SHARE this blog with your friends!
Leave a Reply